February’s cheese of the month is…
Jalapeno Spice Cheddar Cheese with Spicy Jalapeno & Bell Peppers
This zingy savoury cheddar is elevated with the flavours of jalapeno and bell peppers for some extra kick. Flakes of finely chopped peppers and chilli are clearly visible in the cheese. If you like a bit of heat, this mature cheddar is perfect over nachos with sour cream or to spice up a burger. This month we’ve incorporated it into this delicious sourdough recipe. Just the thing to warm us up on these cold days.
February’s recipe is:
Jalapeno Spice Cheesy Bread
Any sourdough recipe will work but here’s what we used:
- 500g strong bread flour
- 300g sour dough mix
- 210g water
- 10g salt
- 200g Jalapeno Spice Cheddar Cheese
- Keep the cheese to one side for now and mix together the rest of the ingredients in a bowl. Turn out on to a clean kitchen surface and knead for 10 minutes.
- Put the dough into a lightly oiled bowl (non-metallic oven proof if you’ve got one), cover with a damp tea towel and let it prove for 3 hours in a warm environment (longer if it’s a bit cooler in the kitchen).
- Turn out the dough onto a clean kitchen surface and knock back (a lighter kneading of the dough). Dice the cheese and fold/mix into the dough. You could also add some grated cheese it you wanted an overall mix rather than cheesy pieces.
- Flour generously and put the dough into your baking tin/bowl, if it’s metal line with grease proof paper. Put the dough aside for a second prove, leave for the same amount of time as the first prove.
- Pre-heat the oven to 230C/450F/Gas 8.
- Score the top to allow for the bread to rise.
- Bake for 35 minutes – it’s ready when there’s a good crust on the top.