June’s cheese of the month is…
This month we decided to sample one of Britain’s oldest cheeses. Lancashire developed its identity in the 18th century and remains today one of our most popular regional cheeses.
Our recipe this month is a little bit unusual, but when we saw it we couldn’t resist giving it a try. Lancashire and Apple Savoury Pie turned out to be one of our most popular recipes for months with our team. Give it a try- we promise it won’t disappoint!
June’s recipe is:
Lancashire and Apple Pie
- 500 g ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 300 g waxy potatoes
- 4 Royal Gala apples
- 2 shallots
- 200g Lancashire cheese
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 large free-range egg
- Set oven to 190 degrees. Slice potatoes and apples into discs. Thinly slice shallots.
- Add stock cube to boiling water and boil potatoes for 4-5 minutes. Drain and leave to one side.
- Cut pastry into 2 equal sizes. Roll one out to fit pie dish bottom and sides. Layer potatoes on top of pastry and season. The layer apples, sprinkle over some shallots and some grated Lancashire and some thyme. Repeat step 3 times until apples, potato, shallots, thyme and cheese are all used up.
- Place remaining pastry rectangle over the top and seal at the edges with a fork.
- Egg wash the pie and pierce hole in the top.
- Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.