July’s cheese of the month is…
Guinness® Cheddar is hand crafted using locally sourced cheese, carefully prepared, made with care and matured specifically to suit the intricate flavour combinations required to produce this bold, delicious and malty cheese.
It is a unique expression of the Guinness® heritage. Bold, complex and malty. Delicious enough for any moment, simply balanced, perfect with a pint, or anytime.All the while in line with the values and rich heritage of the Guinness® brand. This recipe is a supercharged version of the classic Welsh Rarebit with the magnificently malty taste of Guinness® Cheddar for a uniquely Irish twist.
July’s recipe is:
Irish Guinness Rarebit
- 100 g roughly grated Guinness Cheddar
- 2 large free range egg yolks
- 150g crème fraiche
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 x doorstop thick slices of good quality bread (we think that rye bread is best)
- Pre-heat the grill so that it’s good and hot.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the Guinness® Wholegrain Mustard and crème fraiche then stir in the grated Guinness® Cheddar and seasoning.
- Lightly toast the chunky rye bread on both sides and cover each slice with a generous tablespoon of Guinness® Tangy Chutney, followed by a quarter of the cheesy rarebit mixture. Make sure to spread this out right to the edge so that the crust doesn’t burn. Place under the pre-heated grill until golden and bubbling.
- Remove from the grill and allow to cool slightly before tucking in. We like to serve ours with a big handful of Burts Guinness® Rich Chilli Thick Cut Crisps on the side and a velvety smooth pint of plain.