November’s cheese of the month is…
Dragon Mature Cheddar
This month we decided to celebrate the Dragon Cheese rebrand by focusing on their best selling Dragon Mature Cheddar.
Dragon Cheddar has been produced in the heart of Wales at South Caernarfon Creameries with milk supplied from 130 farms for generations. Their packaging revamp includes new colours to reflect each product, as well as the Welsh hills and dry stone walling to create a quintessentially Welsh picture. They’ve also added the green grass, which is key to the cows whose milk is used to make their cheese. Their carefully matured cheddar delivers all round with a smooth texture, and deep, full flavour.
We decided to keep it simple this month, a classic cheese to create a classic recipe. Cheddar cheese scones were served with lashing of thick butter and with an empty plate at the end of the day, we can only assume they went down a treat!
November’s recipe is:
Cheddar Cheese Scones
- 225g self raising flower, sieved
- 55g butter
- 50g Dragon Mature Cheddar, grated
- 150ml whole milk
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Rub the butter into the flour with finger tips.
- Add the salt and two thirds of the grated cheese and stir.
- Slowly add milk and fold to create soft dough.
- On floured work surface knead very lightly. Roll dough out to 2cm thick.
- Cut out rounds and place on greased baking sheet.
- Brush tops with milk. Bake for 8-10 mins until well risen and golden in colour.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on tops and bake for further 2-4 mins.