May’s cheese of the month is…
Dorset Drum is our flagship Cheddar and we are proud that it is one of only a few Cheddars in the world to carry the renowned Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) status for Farmhouse Cheddar. Made on a farm in Dorset to a unique recipe, using traditional handmade methods, Dorset Drum is a mature Cheddar with a full depth of flavour. This is an exceptional tasting Cheddar ideal for all occasions. For May, as wonderful British asparagus is in season for such a short time, we have decided to create a Dorset Drum and asparagus flan. This simple recipe brings together seasonal British flavours for the perfect Springtime lunch.
May’s recipe is:
British asparagus and cheddar flan
- 300g fresh asparagus
- 200g Dorset Drum Cheddar cheese, grated
- 300g shortcrust pastry, ready-rolled
- 4 free-range eggs
- 100ml double cream
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and bashed
- 2 tbsp grated lemon zest
- Flour, for dusting
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and fresh pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4. Wash the asparagus spears and discard any woody ends. In a bowl toss the asparagus with olive oil, garlic cloves and lemon zest before transferring the mixture to a baking tray.
- Lightly grease a rectangular tart tin with a little oil and line with the ready-rolled pastry. Trim the edges with a knife then line with baking or parchment paper and fill with baking beans or dried lentils.
- Bake the prepared asparagus and the tart shell in the oven alongside each other for 10 minutes.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, whisk in the cream and the grated Dorset Drum Cheddar, then season with a little sea salt and pepper.
- Take the asparagus out of the oven and keep it to one side. Then take the tart shell out of the oven and carefully tip out the baking beans or lentils and lift out the paper. Put the tart shell back into the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Take the tart shell out of the oven again and place the roasted asparagus into the tart. Pour the egg and Cheddar cheese mixture evenly over the top of the asparagus.
- Bake the filled tart for a further 15 minutes, until it is bubbling and golden. Leave to cool slightly and serve in slices.