January’s cheese of the month is…
Crackington, our latest savoury blend combines the sweet nutty flavour of Red Leicester with the added bite of cracked black pepper. This month we chose to make macaroni cheese- a classic dish loved by all. Macaroni cheese in its various forms has been around since the 14th century so it was about time for us to create a twist on the classic recipe. Here is the recipe for our no frills, easy to make Macaroni cheese. Rich in flavour and colour with crunchy pancetta pieces and fresh chives- mac and cheese done Crackington style. And even if we say so ourselves- it’s absolutely cracking!
January’s recipe is:
Mac and cheese
- Macaroni 175g
- Crackington 160g (grated)
- Pancetta 80g
- Salt & Pepper to season
- Plain Flour 1 tbsp.
- Mustard Powder 1tsp
- Whole Milk 250ml
- Butter 1 tbsp.
- Heat the oven to 200c/gas mark 6. Fry off the pancetta until crispy and leave to rest.
- Melt the butter in a pan, adding mustard powder. Add the flour and whisk on a low heat for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk, until flour has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil on a low heat, continuing to whisk. Reduce the heat and simmer until sauce has thickened. Stir in three quarters of the grated cheese.
- Boil the pasta al dente (1o minutes in boiling water.) Drain and stir in pancetta and sauce. Add salt and pepper to season.
- Dollop into oven dish, topping with the rest of the grated cheese and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with freshly chopped chives before serving.