August’s cheese of the month is…
Belton Farm Coloured Cheshire
August’s Cheese of the Month has received some serious attention after winning Supreme Champion at the 2018 International Cheese Awards in Nantwich, coming out on top of 5200 other entries.
Belton Coloured Cheshire has since made an appearance on Channel 4’s Sunday Brunch, so we thought it about time that we tried it for ourselves. A crumbly texture and mild salty taste is combined with a touch of annatto, to create this award winning delicious cheese.
August’s recipe is:
Caramelised Apple & Cheshire Flatbread
- 50g Salted Butter,
- 3 Onions- red or white,
- 3 Red Apples,
- 1 tbsp Caster Sugar,
- Balsamic Vinegar,
- Large flatbread (or packet of small ones),
- 200g Belton Coloured Cheshire,
- Fresh Rosemary sprigs,
- Salt & Pepper to season
- Finely slice onions and slowly fry in butter. Add apples, also finely sliced, and cook until softened.
- Sprinkle in sugar and turn heat right down. Add a splash of water and leave to caramelise until they have turned a rich, golden brown colour.
- Place flatbread(s) in grill and lightly toast.
- Drizzle with olive oil and then spoon on the apple and onion mixture.
- Top with crumbled Cheshire cheese, and a few sprigs of rosemary.
- Put back in the grill until the cheese starts to bubble. Serve immediately.