August’s cheese of the month is…
Coastal Cheddar is matured at the Ford Farm Dairy located on the world heritage Jurassic Coast line in the salty sea air.
First launched in 2000, Coastal is widely available in the UK but has really stolen the show across the Atlantic in North America and is now the biggest selling branded Cheddar in the USA. A rich, rugged and mature cheddar, it is often characterised with a distinctive crunch, a result of the calcium lactate crystals which form naturally as the cheese matures for around 15 months. This maturation process bestows it with its rich and intense flavour.
This month we’ve used Coastal Cheddar to create this easy yet delicious pull-apart bread, the ultimate side dish or sharing food. We’ve loaded this recipe with garlic butter, fresh herbs and plenty of Coastal Cheddar, all baked together to gooey perfection!
August’s recipe is:
Cheesy pull-apart Garlic Bread
- 1 large bakery loaf – French, Italian or sourdough
- 250g Coastal Cheddar, grated
- 125g butter, melted
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsps finely chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Using a serrated knife, crosshatch the loaf, making slices every inch in both directions and making sure to not slice all the way through the bottom of the bread
- In a small bowl, stir together the melted butter, garlic, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the loaf with the melted butter mixture, making sure to get inside all the crosshatches.
- Stuff each crosshatch with Coastal Cheddar and wrap bread completely in foil.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and the bread is warm and toasty (approx 30 minutes).
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then serve.