March’s cheese of the month is…
Cahill’s Original Irish Whiskey Cheddar
For March we are showcasing Cahill’s Original Irish Whiskey Cheddar with a nod to St Patrick’s Day later this month.
This yellow waxed gourmet cheese truckle is hand made using Kilbeggan Irish Whiskey. It is a traditional Irish monastic cheese reputedly brought by the Irish Monks to Scotland. The vintage cheddar infused with the whiskey is a fabulous savory combination.
We’ve created a wonderful fondue recipe to highlight the versatility of this distinctive cheddar. Fondue is the ultimate laid back dinner party meal to enjoy with friends. Grab a fork and get stuck in!
March’s recipe is:
Irish Whiskey Cheddar Fondue
- 300g Cahill’s Original Irish Whiskey Cheddar, grated
- 300g Gruyere cheese, grated
- 300ml light ale
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and bashed
- Grate all the cheese and tip into a bowl. Sprinkle over the cornflour and mix well so that the cheese is covered in the flour.
- Add the garlic and ale to a heavy pan, or fondue pot, over a very low heat and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the cheese, a small handful at a time, only adding another handful when the previous has completely melted, and stirring frequently.
- Take out the garlic clove. Do not allow to boil or the cheese will curdle.
- Serve straight away with crudités, bread, pickles and sausage.