February’s cheese of the month is…
Belton Port Wine Derby
It’s hard to pick just one cheese from the range we supply at Coombe Castle, but after some careful deliberation and of course lots of sampling, this February we are experimenting with Port Wine Derby, which comes from established cheesemakers Belton Farm.
Derby, a traditional regional cheese has been produced in the UK for nearly 200 years. Adding port creates a smooth creamy cheese, delicately marbled to create blackcurrant infusions leaving a slightly sweet berry taste. This month we have taken recipe inspiration from Belton themselves, putting together a delicious salad packed full of flavour proving that Cheese can be healthy too!
February’s recipe is:
- Port Wine Derby 110g
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 6 Celery sticks, sliced
- 2 red apples, cored and chopped
- Red or green seedless grapes, halved 150g
- Dried apricots 100g
- Raisins or sultanas 25g
- Almonds, chopped 25g
- A few crisp lettuce leaves, shredded
- Sesame seeds 1 tsp.
- Cut the cheese into bite-sized cubes.
- Put the lemon juice into a large salad bowl and add the celery, apples, grapes, apricots, raisins or sultanas and almonds. Add the lettuce and cheese cubes and toss the ingredients together.
- Put the sesame seeds into a small frying pan and heat, stirring them often, until they start to brown. Cool for a few moments, and then sprinkle over the salad. Cover and chill until ready to serve.