June’s cheese of the month is…
Belton Farm Red Fox
Red Fox is hand crafted at Belton Farm where master cheese makers use a unique recipe developed over many years. This aged Red Leicester with it’s wonderful russet colour has an intense blend of sweet, savoury and nutty flavours.
We’ve used this moreish cheese in a wonderful, light and savoury muffin recipe – perfect for summer picnics and lunch boxes. These muffins are delicious warm from the oven but are equally delicious cold. What’s more – they can be frozen. To defrost simply leave out overnight and they’ll be ready to pop in your picnic basket in the morning.
June’s recipe is:
Cheese and black olive mini muffins
- 2 medium eggs
- 150ml semi-skimmed milk
- 75g butter, melted
- 150g grated Belton Farm Red Fox cheese
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1/2 vegetable stock cube
- 12 black olives, cut into quarters
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4 and line a muffin tin with 12 muffin cases.
- Gently whisk the eggs in a large bowl and stir in the milk and melted butter. Mix in the grated cheese, mixed herbs and most of the black olives. (Reserve a few olive pieces to go on top).
- Finally, add in the flour, salt and pepper (if using) and crumble in the 1/2 stock cube. Mix just enough until all the ingredients have combined.
- Divide the mixture between the 12 muffin cases and sprinkle the tops of the muffins with the remaining olives. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until cooked through (a skewer stuck into the middle should come out dry).
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.